Testing & Therapy Services
Psychological testing is a crucial component to treatment planning. I often recommend an evaluation, especially if this is your first time coming in my office. This can be assessed and discussed in our initial session. Evaluations help to determine appropriate diagnoses, develop appropriate treatment plans, coordinate care with other professionals, and provide insight as to what may be underlying a particular problem. An evaluation may also describe or explain the difficulties being presented by an individual, in an effort to understand the individual's behavior.
Psychological tests are designed to assess a variety of cognitive abilities, including general level of cognitive functioning, memory, visual-perceptual-motor skills, speed of information processing, attention, and executive functions, which are necessary for goal-directed behavior. Educational evaluations are used to assess for academic difficulties or giftedness. In addition, a more comprehensive version can be administered to assist with diagnosis of learning disabilities, to help design learning interventions, or to make educational program placement decisions.
The assessments I offer will include some or all of the following:
- Review of developmental, medical, behavioral and family history
- A clinical interview
- Review of report cards, teacher information, results of school administered standardized tests (for students), and results of other psychological evaluations
- Individual testing in areas such as cognitive abilities, memory, attention, academic skills, and emotional/behavioral functioning
- A comprehensive report that includes answers to referral questions, identification of strengths and weaknesses, diagnoses, educational/ vocational implications, and recommendations
- A one hour feedback session following the evaluation to discuss results and recommendations
A comprehensive psychological or educational evaluation may take several hours, or even several days, depending on the problems being assessed and the reason for the assessment. Each evaluation is tailored to the specific needs of the person and the questions that are being asked.
Types of evaluations I offer:
- Psychological Evaluations
- Educational Evaluations
- Diagnostic Screenings
- Bariatric Screenings
An intake appointment is the first step in setting up a therapy relationship. I will meet with you to discuss your current concerns in more detail. We can then discuss my suggestions about the best treatment approach and the best match for your particular needs.
Therapy options include:
- Individual Therapy – For children, adolescents, and adults
- Family Therapy
- Couples Therapy